Things I Wish I'd Known Sooner...Review

About the book:
"Like every other well-brought-up young woman, I was raised to believe that life was a crescendo: Do everything right - eat your cereal, curl your hair, study, exercise, be sweet, and follow The Plan (although I was never too clear exactly what the plan was)."

Not only was life less simple than Jaroldeen had grown up expecting, it turned out to be a series of complex challenges and hard work. But with each experience she learned to relish her life's riches - especially the deep satisfactions of marriage, raising children, and of loving and being loved. In the 1970s, when bright young women were supposed to be pursuing careers, not carpooling kids and sorting socks, Jaroldeen opened a window onto her own heart and discovered she loved raising her sprawling family. At the same time, she kept up her writing - and maintained her sense of humor. Now she shares her insights and reflections gleaned over the years - what she calls "windows of light" - on children, husbands, friends...and creating that subtle miracle called a home. A meal of abundant courses, Things I Wish I'd Known Sooner is for women at every stage of living. It is a tribute to women's inherent wisdom and strength. From her own ordinary yet remarkable life, Jaroldeen Edwards has crafted a wonderful contribution to the priceless heart-to-heart talks of women everywhere. Here is a book written by a woman for women, that truly exults in the glorious complexity of life.

Jaroldeen Edwards is entertaining and has some great ideas and examples of life. She raised 12 children. My favorite essay, and the reason I bought the book, is the one entitled, "Things I wish I'd known sooner." It's full of practical ideas and the things that she wishes she'd learned earlier in life.

My favorite: to only use white linens and white towels. You never have to worry about matching sheets or making sure the blue towels don't get washed with the yellow ones!

My next favorite is to make your home a place of beauty, no matter your financial situation.

Personal copy read 8/06

* * * *
4/5 Stars

Comments