The Family Nobody Wanted...Review

About the book:
The remarkable and inspiring true story of a couple who adopted twelve children, ten of them considered "unadoptable" because of mixed racial parentage.

I loved it. It was heartwarming, funny and inspirational. Helen and Carl Doss are truly wonderful people who adopt 12 children, most of whom are of mixed race, and they do this in the 40s and 50s when it was unheard of for white people to adopt children of different races.

Helen writes about how they came to adopt each child and shares funny anecdotes about the children that are simply delightful. The love that this couple has for these children who truly do become their own is beautiful. The love that these children had for each other is even more heartwarming.

I hadn't seen this book before and it is a definite winner. This version has a new epilogue from the author that shares what happened to each child later in life.

Thanks to my local library for having a copy I could borrow.

Read 12/07

Comments

  1. This is going on my Amazon wish list. Sounds like a great read!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stumbled across your blog when I Googled the title of the book.

    I'd ordered it from Scholastic books many years ago, when I was eight, and it literally changed my life. After I read it, I told anyone who'd listen that one day I was going to adopt a child.

    When I was 43, I adopted my daughter from China. Such was the impact of this marvelous story on my life.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment