Mrs. Darcy's Dilemma...Review

About the book:
Beginning twenty-five years after Darcy and Elizabeth's wedding, their life together has been wonderful and their marriage is still thriving. Their grown children bring them great delight, along with some trepidation, Mrs. Darcy's nieces come for a visit, and a theatrical scandal threatens to embroil them all. The Victorian age is dawning, and Pemberley's new generation is coming into their own.

As a rule, I don't like attempted sequels. I especially don't like attempted sequels of classic novels when those sequels are written by wannabe Jane Austens or Margaret Mitchells.

When I picked up Mrs. Darcy's Dilemma, I was prepared to dislike it. (When Austen wannabes try to be Jane, they fail miserably. No one can do that, so just stop trying, ok?) As I read the book though, I was pleasantly surprised to find myself enjoying it instead. It was entertaining and difficult to put down. Diana Birchall didn't try to be Jane Austen. Thank goodness. Birchall did, however, manage to capture the essence of Pride and Prejudice as this novel picks up 25 years after the end of the original. Elizabeth and Darcy have 3 children and the novel is about the exploits of those children. Darcy's compassion is readily apparent, as is his pride and the expectation he has for his family. His tenderness with Elizabeth is sweet.

While there is a bit too much Lydia in the book, I also found that Birchall's take on how Lydia's life turned out was believable. Her two eldest daughters play a major role in the book, and the Collinses, as well as Elizabeth's other sisters and Lady Catherine all make appearances as well.

Overall, an entertaining and delightful read.

I read my personal copy, but you can purchase your own here.

Read 5/08

* * *

3/5 Stars

Comments

  1. I'll check it out. I generally agree with you on attempted P&P sequels, you aren't Jane, don't try, but I do love the story and it would be fun to see them in 25 years.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just may have to give this a try. It does annoy me when people try to be Jane, but if this author recognizes that she's not, we might feel brave enough to attempt it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooooh, I'm so glad you liked it! I've been skeptical about this one, too, but after your review will check it out!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment