Talk of the Town...Review

About the book:
The show American Megastar is the hottest thing on television but its associate producer, Mandalay Florentino, is worried. She's just arrived in the tiny town of Daily, Texas, to arrange a surprise "reunion concert" for hometown finalist Amber Amberson. Only it turns out everyone in town seems to know the secret. And paparazzi are arriving. Word from Hollywood is that Amber has disappeared with a "bad boy" actor. Can anything go right in this tumbleweed town? Imagene Doll loves her town of Daily, Texas, but things are lonely without her beloved husband. Life seems dull. At least until that fancy-dressed woman pulls into town, looking terrified and glamorous all at once. Soon life's not the least bit boring as Imagene and the rest of Daily find themselves at the center of a media maelstrom--with a young girl's future on the line.

I like Lisa Wingate. I've enjoyed other books by her more than I did this one. But this was cute. It's set in small town Texas with some characters who are laugh-out loud funny. Mandalay, the main character, is a producer for an American Idol-type television show.

Amber, one of the finalists is a sweet, country girl from the backwoods of Daily, Texas and Mandalay is sent to organize the "reunion concert" for her. The concert is supposed to be top secret, but the paparazzi have arrived and Amber is missing. The citizens of Daily, Texas prove themselves as they come together to support their hometown girl.

Told through the first-person viewpoints of Mandalay and Imagene, the sweet grandma, the story is funny and, at times, charming.

Now, I hate reality t.v. and I particularly can't stand American Idol, nor do I understand the obsessive hype that goes along with it. Lisa Wingate capitalizes on that hype here. I don't think this book took a great deal of thought or effort to write. It lacks the depth of her other novels, but is light and entertaining: no thinking required. True chick-lit.

Thanks to my local library for having a copy I could borrow.  You can purchase your own copy here.

Read 10/08

* * *
3/5 Stars

Comments

  1. LOLOL! I don't care for American Idol, but I do like some reality TV. I liked Survivor for about four seasons and then grew tired. I love Project Runway and the interior designer one...can't think of its name. OH - loved Ozzie which no longer airs and that's about all. I stopped watching TV this year in order to read more. The only thing I catch is mostly movies online or on DVD.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never been one for reality t.v. I do like American Idol, but that is about it. It just amazes me that people sell themselves out so easily!
    I LOVED Tending Roses by Lisa Wingate. It is one of my all time favorite books!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment