Jewel of His Heart...Review

About the book:
Their future is as wide open as the Montana sky. Juliana Brady is alone in an 1890s Montana mining town, with few prospects for making a living. But she is determined not to be dependent on the charity of others. Josh McBride is trying to scrape up a living from his sheep herd while he builds his ranch. But when he discovers some rare stones on his property, he's tempted by the prospect of fast money. When their paths cross, Juliana and Josh must make a choice--the world's riches and promises, or the eternal value of love.


As often happens, I'm going to be the reviewer who goes against the grain!

I will admit to being disappointed. While I think that this is a story with a lot of potential, it just wasn't for me. Oh, I liked it well enough, but it certainly didn't touch me or move me in any way. It's billed as a wonderful, tender romance, but it seemed to be missing the true spark that draws you in and makes you feel like you're a part of the story. Forced, is the word that comes to mind. I liked the characters, I didn't really connect with them, and I found some of the dialogue stilted and awkward. Juliana and Josh are likeable enough, and some of the supporting characters are colorful and flesh out the story a bit more.

The historical aspect of this era is fascinating. I had no idea that sapphires were mined in Montana. The author has some notes at the end of the novel that detail additional historical facts and clarify which ones are true in the story.

An easy, Christian read. The second in a series, it seems to stand alone well. I haven't read the first one, but it didn't seem to be a problem. I'm certain that Maggie Brendan fans and those who love historical novels will enjoy this one.

Available October 2009 at your favorite bookseller from Revell, a division of Baker Publishing Group.

Thanks to Donna Hausler from the Baker Publishing Group for the opportunity to review this book. You can find out more about Maggie Brendan here. You can purchase the book here.

Read 10/09

* *
2/5 Stars

Comments

  1. Sadly I agree. I reviewed it too not to long ago. There is potential, but it's not impressive. BUT I love Brenda!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment