Running Around (and Such)...Review

About the book:
Can Lizzie find happiness in her Amish community or will she have to settle for something less than her dreams?

Lizzie Glick longs to fit into her quiet Amish community. Her sisters, Emma and Mandy, are ready to get married and settle into the traditional rhythm of having children and keeping house. But Lizzie isn't sure that's what she wants for her future. It isn't that Lizzie doesn't want to stay Amish. It's just that there's so much to figure out!

Stephen, her quiet, gentle friend, hints that he might be interested in a relationship deeper than friendship, but Lizzie is also drawn to the charming Amos who seems to have eyes for everyone but her.

She has certainly attracted the attention of the egg-truck driver. A thrill runs through her every time the worldly man comes to pick up an order, each time extending his stay a little longer. How long will she keep this a secret from Emma -- and Mam and Datt?

What will become of Lizzie? She has too hot a temper. She hates housework and dislikes babies. She loves driving fast horses but is petrified of going away from home for a week to work as a maud (maid). Is she too spirited, too innocent, and almost too uninhibited for a young Amish woman?


The Amish family portrayed here isn't perfect.  They have their issues, which is refreshing.  However, Lizzie was a completely unlikeable, whiny, annoying teenage girl.  She hates everything and she doesn't like to work.  She eats too much and complains that she's fat.  Perhaps that's typical of teenage girls.  At any rate, she just annoyed me and I didn't care about her at all.  Honestly, I ended up skimming a lot of it and I can pretty much guarantee that I didn't miss much.

Running Around (and Such) is the first in a series and it will be interesting to see if Lizzie matures at all. I don't know that I would seek out the rest of the series myself.  The book wasn't marketed as a juvenile fiction, but clearly it is meant for pre-teen to teen girls.  The writing is simple and the characters undeveloped. Young readers who are interested in the Amish lifestyle would probably enjoy it. 

Thanks to Julie Harabedian at FSB Associates for the opportunity to review this book. You can purchase your own copy here.

Read 8/10

* *
2/5 Stars


Comments

  1. I just saw this on another blog. I like reading about the Amish. This sounds good. I will keep it in mind.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Holly,

    I love books like this that really get behind the traditions of the Amish people and tell it from their hearts. It makes the book that much more enjoyable. Thanks for stopping by my blog and look forward to more visits from you soon!

    Love and Hugs ~ Kat

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just finished this one and felt exactly the same way. In fact, I was trying to find positive reviews to add to my post so that my readers could get a balanced look at this novel but so far I've only found one!!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment