Threads West...DNF...Review

About the book:
The romance of America, her people, her spirit, and the West. The ongoing story of us. This first book and namesake of the six-novel series is being compared by reviewers and authors to Lonesome Dove and Centennial. The tale bursts with the adventure, romance and promise of historical America and the West. 

The epic saga of Threads West begins in 1855 with the first of four richly-textured, complex generations of unforgettable characters. The separate lives of these driven men and independent women are drawn to a common destiny that beckons seductively from the wild and remote flanks of the American West. They are swept into the dangerous currents of the far-distant frontier by the mysterious rivers of fate, the power of the land and the American spirit. 

Their turbulent journeys are heartbreaking quests intertwined with romance and adversity, passions and pathos, despair and triumph. This is not only their story. It is our story. It is Threads West, An American Saga.

I love a good, epic saga. I enjoy those series' that span generations.  What I don't like are an abundance of sex scenes, especially those that include rape.  That the book opens with a scene which is the aftermath of an adulterous, intimate encounter, should have been a fair warning to me.  However, I skimmed through it as the story intrigued me and I decided to read on.  This book obviously sets up the rest of the series and introduces those characters whose stories will intersect, intertwine and unfold together.  They come from all countries and all walks of life.

This series has the potential to be a fascinating look at western immigration and it will appeal to many, especially those who like Larry McMurtry and John Jakes. The writing is lyrical and beautifully descriptive. It's just not a book I can finish.  I'm no prude and I have no problem skipping over a sex scene or two in a book, but there are too many here for me, especially when all are premarital, adulterous or involve multiple rape encounters.

I was disappointed, but those love epic westerns and who don't mind sex scenes will enjoy it.

Thanks to Rebecca Brown at The Cadence Group for the opportunity to review this book.  You can learn more about Reid Lance Rosenthal here.  You can purchase your own copy here.

Read 1/11

*
1/5 Stars


Comments