Books I Have Forgotten

Each month I want to revisit some of my past reviews. One of the reasons I started this book blog was to remember what books I have read. My memory isn't the greatest anymore and I would read a book and then not remember if I liked it or what it was even about.

Maybe one of these will prompt you to seek out an older, but amazing book. Or, if you've read one of these and your review was different, please share!

--------------------------------------------

Quirky Kids by Perri Klass, M.D.
4/5 Stars
4/2008

I didn't forget about his book, I just haven't referenced it for awhile. When The Brother was younger, this was a little bible to us. We referenced it quite often as we traversed our newly discovered world of the Autism Spectrum and sensory issues.

A great resource, especially if you have a child who is just different. Some kids and people just have issues that seem quirky, and may or may not be serious, so this is a great starting point in your research. Good overviews of different disorders and issues. The authors explain terms, discuss possible therapy options, coping strategies, and even available medications. I particularly like the section about dealing with teachers. If you deal with quirky issues in your family, any book that gives coping mechanisms and tools for helping your child is a great addition to a library. This one is no exception.

The Lost Art of Keeping Secrets by Eva Rice
4/2008
4/5 Stars

As soon as I reread my review, I wanted to reread the novel. I'd forgotten about this one and it really was fantastic. I do need to get my own copy.

An absolutely delightful book. In post World War 2 England, rationing is ending, grand houses are tumbling down from neglect and lack of money and families are learning to cope with the losses of husbands and fathers. In this setting, 18-year old Penelope's life changes when she accepts a cab ride with an unknown young woman and enjoys tea with the girl's eccentric aunt and cousin. The characters are memorable and entertaining. This would make a charming film. It's romantic without being sappy or fluffy. Funny and heartwarming at the same time. Not only a must-read, but a definite re-read as well!

Northanger Abbey by Jane Austen
4/5 Stars
1/2008

This is one of my favorite Austen books. This is her earliest written book, and probably the least polished. It's funny and light-hearted at times, but it's also serious when it comes to the subject of marriage. A definite must read for any and all who proclaim themselves lovers of Jane Austen.

--------------------------------------------

What about you? What are some of the books you've read in previous years?

Comments