Books I Have Forgotten

Each month I want to revisit some of my past reviews. One of the reasons I started this book blog was to remember what books I have read. My memory isn't the greatest anymore and I would read a book and then not remember if I liked it or what it was even about.

Maybe one of these will prompt you to seek out an older, but amazing book. Or, if you've read one of these and your review was different, please share!

--------------------------------------------


Hood by Stephen R. Lawhead
4/5 Stars
2/2009

"A fascinating take on the Robin Hood legend. Stephen Lawhead has taken the story and set it in 1093 Wales.

I've seen reviews that call the ending abrupt and the story slow, I didn't find this at all. Lawhead mixes English with Welsh and while some of the names, places and words were a bit difficult to understand, it didn't detract from the story. I appreciated the pronunciation guide provided at the end of the book.

Lawhead also provides an epilogue which explains his reasoning for setting the story in Wales and not in England. He provides historical examples of how the legend not only evolved but could have originated somewhere other than Nottingham in England.

Overall, an interesting, compelling story and a relatively easy read. I am anxious to see how the trilogy progresses."

Scarlet by Stephen R. Lawhead
2/2009
3/5 Stars

"Scarlet shows us more of the political intrigue and maneuverings of the day. Political lying, deceit and self-preservation were just as much in effect then, as they are today. The King of England proves himself just as dishonest and capable of deceit as one would expect.

This isn't a stand-alone book. You need to read the first one, Hood, to really understand the story.

At once, engaging and entertaining. An easy read and one that will keep you captivated until the end."

Tuck by Stephen R. Lawhead
4/5 Stars
2/2009

"Absolutely wonderful. The story is told, in part, from the perspective of Friar Tuck. However, it is still a third-person narrative rather than a first-person like Scarlet. Tuck's role in this third novel is much more significant. And the idea that a humble priest can have such an impact on the lives of everyone around him, including the King of England is important.

A terrific end to a fascinating trilogy. Easy to read, enthralling and captivating."

I don't really remember anything about this series, but I definitely want to reread it!

--------------------------------------------

What about you? What are some of the books you've read in previous years?

Comments