Weekend Reflections 12/25


I normally do these reflections on Saturday, but it seemed appropriate to share them today.

Looking outside...it's cold and white. We woke up yesterday morning to 5 inches of new snow, on top of the 3 we had received on Friday. We have a white Christmas!

Listening...to Christmas carols. The boys are enjoying their Christmas gifts. The Doctor is taking a nap. 

Loving...this Christmas season. I love that Christmas is on a Sunday. It just felt right to go to church on Christmas Day. Our Sunday morning was a lovely musical program and we sang, I Heard the Bells on Christmas Day as the closing song. I love that song. It's my favorite Christmas song.

Thinking...that it's been a good morning. We went to our ward for church and then went to my Mom's ward because she narrated their Christmas music program and my sister sang in the choir.  Then, Mom came over for presents and we had a delightful time opening gifts. I find so much joy in watching the happiness of others as they open their gifts. 

In my kitchen...a cup of hot chocolate right now.  The roast is in the oven. We will have our Christmas dinner around 6:00-ish. I think there will be 10 of us. Last night we had our traditional soup dinner. I made taco soup and we ate by candlelight. It was delicious.

Wearing...black skirt, black turtleneck, dark green cardigan and slippers.

Hoping...that all of you, my readers and friends and family are having a wonderful holiday. As I sat in church today singing, I Heard the Bells on Christmas Day, I was moved to tears as we sang:


"And in despair I bowed my head, 
'There is no peace on earth,' I said. 
'For hate is strong and mocks the song 
of peace on earth, good will to men.'"

I thought back on this tumultuous year of 2016. How hate-filled it has been because of politics and a polarizing election. I thought about the hate and violence directed at our police officers. I thought about the crime and the shootings and the racially-tinged violence and I realized that it would be very easy to think that there is no peace and that hate truly is too strong.  But then, we sang this:

"Then pealed the bells more loud and deep
God is not dead, nor does he sleep
The wrong shall fail, the right prevail
With peace on earth, good will to men.

Then ringing singing on its way
The world revolved from night to day 

A voice, a chime, a chant sublime 
Of peace on earth, good will to men."

I was filled with a feeling of hope, for there are good people in this world. There are wonderful people in our communities. You are amazing. We have a twisted media that doesn't like showing us the good things. Or, if they do, it's not on a regular basis and its always biased. But, we can each make a difference where we are. We don't have to hate. We don't have to be mean and angry just because someone is different than we are, or has opinions or thoughts that differ from ours. We can smile. We can let a car merge in front of us. We can shovel someone else's driveway after it has snowed 5 inches overnight. 

This world will move forward one way or another. Whether we all sit back and just observe it or whether we do all we can to make a difference is up to us. The world revolves, the sun always rises. What kind of day are you going to have?

You are good and there are so many fantastic people around us. Be one of those people. Make a difference. Be kind. Do good. Love is a verb.

Reading...last night we had our traditional story sharing. I love Christmas stories because they touch and inspire.

Today...we had a wonderful time at church. We have opened gifts and shared with one another. We are hosting Christmas dinner at our home tonight and there will be about 10 of us. I am looking forward to spending this evening with family. To laugh and talk and share. To spend time with one another. To feel and show love.

Quoting...While I love the original Hallelujah, I've never understood how it could be considered a Christmas song. So when Cloverton came out with their Christmas version, I loved it. The Christmas lyrics fit the song so well. Take a few minutes to listen.


A Hallelujah Christmas

I've heard about this baby boy 
Who's come to earth to bring us joy 
And I just want to sing this song to you 
It goes like this, the fourth, the fifth 
The minor fall, the major lift 
With every breath I'm singing Hallelujah 
Hallelujah, Hallelujah, Hallelujah, Hallelujah 

A couple came to Bethlehem 
Expecting child, they searched the inn 
To find a place for You were coming soon 
There was no room for them to stay 
So in a manger filled with hay 
God's only Son was born, oh Hallelujah 
Hallelujah, Hallelujah, Hallelujah, Hallelujah 

The shepherds left their flocks by night 
To see this baby wrapped in light 
A host of angels led them all to You 
It was just as the angels said 
You'll find Him in a manger bed 
Immanuel and Savior, Hallelujah 
Hallelujah, Hallelujah, Hallelujah, Hallelujah 

A star shown bright up in the east
To Bethlehem, the wisemen three 
Came many miles and journeyed long for You 
And to the place at which You were 
Their frankincense and gold and myrrh 
They gave to You and cried out Hallelujah 
Hallelujah, Hallelujah, Hallelujah, Hallelujah 

I know You came to rescue me 
This baby boy would grow to be 
A man and one day die for me and you 
My sins would drive the nails in You 
That rugged cross was my cross, too 
Still every breath You drew was Hallelujah 
Hallelujah, Hallelujah, Hallelujah, Hallelujah 
Hallelujah, Hallelujah, Hallelujah, Hallelujah
Lyrics by Cloverton 
(original lyrics and music by Leonard Cohen)

Feeling...tender-hearted. My emotions are close to the surface. I am greatly blessed.

Planning...I am not planning anything today. Christmas is a day to enjoy. To enjoy life and the company of family and friends and to reflect on the birth of Jesus Christ and the gifts He has given us.

Gratitude...for my family. I say that a lot, but they are my world. These men of mine are amazing. I am grateful for a home filled with laughter and love. It has been so fun to listen to the boys be back together and laugh. There was a wrestling match this week and they were under threat of death if they hit the Christmas tree, but it was so fun to see them acting like tiger cubs and not almost full-grown men.

From my world... 


This was our Christmas tree early this morning, after Santa had brought his presents. I love the magic of Christmas. 

What about you? What are you reflecting on today? From 2 Kids and Tired Books, we wish you the Merriest of Christmases and the Happiest of Holidays.

Comments

  1. Merry Christmas to you and yours. Online friends are a gift for which I give thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's been so warm here, we talked about turning the air back on yesterday.

    Carl and I were saying we think there are so many more good people than bad ones in the world.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't imagine it being that warm! It's currently 13 and snowy. My fireplace is going!

      Delete

Post a Comment