Books I Have Forgotten

Each month I revisit some of my past reviews. One of the reasons I started this book blog was to remember what books I have read. My memory isn't the greatest anymore and I found that I would read a book and then not remember if I liked it or what it was even about.

Maybe one of these will prompt you to seek out an older, but amazing book. Or, if you've read one of these and your review was different, please share!

--------------------------------------------

The Persian Pickle Club by Sandra Dallas
4/5 Stars
10/2007

"Absolutely delightful. Full of memorable characters and endearing voices. You don't want it to end. It's got that quirky small-town thing down pat. There is a tone of reality, where you know that the author understands small towns. You come to love the people and you can relate to the Pickles. The camaraderie that comes when you sit around a quilting frame is unrivaled. Queenie is delightful. You want her for your best friend and Rita is a hoot. You can just picture the upheaval that she brings to small town life.

It's the first time I've read Sandra Dallas and I love her."

Well, it's a glowing review, but I remember nothing about this book!

Housekeeping by Marilynne Robinson
11/2007
1/5 Stars

"I am in the minority. It's a well crafted story with beautiful prose. She writes very descriptively.

I just didn't like the story itself and couldn't wait for it to be finished. I kept wondering what the point of the story even was. Yes, I know it's about family and life and coming of age, loss and survival and the dangerous pull of transience. It just didn't interest me.

I didn't like it, but I'm sure many others have and will."

No memory of this one.

The Monk Upstairs by Tim Farrington
1/5 Stars
11/2007

"A story about a monk who leaves the order and gets married. It was ok. A quick read. I had it finished in about an hour and a half. Not bad, not great. Some insights into the catholic world of monks. It's a sequel to The Monk Downstairs which I haven't read, but don't plan to.

Can't say I recommend it."

No memory whatsoever of this book.

--------------------------------------------

What about you? What are some of the books you've read in previous years?

Comments