Weekend Reflections 9/23

Looking outside...it's sunny but cold. 34 degrees at 10:15. I am loving it. The fireplace is on. The high parts of Idaho are already receiving snow and Eastern Idaho has a winter storm warning. In September! I'm sure we will have another wave of warm weather before fall really sets in, but I am loving these cooler temps.

Listening...to The Boy and The Doctor working on the car. The fireplace is going. The Artist is asleep.

Loving...the cooler weather. Bliss. Absolute bliss. I wore long sleeves and put on a scarf yesterday. 

Thinking...that the internets are an interesting place. Sitting behind a keyboard gives people a sense of power. It's so easy to read something and assume it actually affects you. One person sharing an opinion isn't an attack on you. One person sharing a post on Facebook that might inspire them, but makes you uncomfortable, isn't an attack on you.

A book reviewer who posts an opinion about book pricing? It's not an attack on you as an author. It's simply an opinion.

Seriously people. Just because you read a post or see something that you might not agree with doesn't mean you need to comment. Sometimes it's just best to walk away.

And authors who like to argue with reviewers or criticize them for their opinions or reviews? We talk. We make note of your online behavior and your treatment of those who read or don't read your books.

In my kitchen...Crio Bru now and I'm not sure about dinner.

Wearing...fuzzy Minion jammies, black turtleneck and slippers.

Reading...what's that again? 

Today...some laundry. Some billing for the office. Fixing the heater in the Buick. Running to the store.

The Artist has lawns to mow later, but probably only for a few more weeks.

Quoting...“Nobody has the right to not be offended. That right doesn't exist in any declaration I have ever read. If you are offended it is your problem, and frankly lots of things offend lots of people. I can walk into a bookshop and point out a number of books that I find very unattractive in what they say. But it doesn't occur to me to burn the bookshop down. If you don't like a book, read another book. If you start reading a book and you decide you don't like it, nobody is telling you to finish it. To read a 600-page novel and then say that it has deeply offended you: well, you have done a lot of work to be offended.” ― Salman Rushdie

Feeling...I find it curious that kneeling in sports is so offensive. To the right, those who kneel during the national anthem is offensive. To the left, those who kneel in prayer before or after a game or touchdown is offensive.

To all of you? Everyone has the right to kneel, whether in prayer or in protest. You don't have to like it, but you should accept it. It's not personally directed at you. And if you think it's ok to kneel in protest, but not in prayer? You're wrong. And if you think it's ok to kneel in prayer, but not protest, you're wrong too.

Personally, I think everyone should take their hat off during the national anthem, when sitting at a table or in prayer. But, I'm not going to freak out if you don't. So if you want to kneel? Kneel. Just let someone else kneel the way they want to if it's different than yours.

Be kind, do good. Love is a verb.

Planning...there is always something on the horizon. There is always something to work for and look forward to.

Gratitude...for scarves and sweaters. For good friends and good conversation. For sunshine and rain because both are needed. For snuggles and hand-holding. For hugs and forehead kisses from sons who are taller than I am.

From my world... 



Best. Sign. Ever. Seen at My Father's Place in McCall, Idaho last weekend. I love it!

What about you? What are you reflecting on this week? How has your week gone?

Comments

  1. We're still having summer like weather. I'm not a fan of the humidity but I do like the warm temperatures.

    I agree with you on tolerance and kindness - we need more of both in the world right now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We might hit some high 70s this week, but fall is definitely in the air.

      Delete
  2. Agree about the internet wholeheartedly. The world has opened up so much and we are so better empowered as a result.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a love/hate relationship with the internet and technology. I agree that it has opened up the world, but it hasn't made us a kinder people as a whole.

      Delete
  3. After lovely cool fall weather this weekend, it's back to 80 and steamy, ugh. I love fall clothes!

    Also, I so appreciate all your observations about internet life and kneeling (and your comment abt being ok w kneeling to protest but not kneeling to pray has made me do some thinking, so thank you!).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. The politics of the last few years have really caused me to do a lot more thinking about how I feel and where I stand. We aren't listening to hear anymore, we're listening to condemn or criticize and it doesn't help any situation or issue. One of the things I struggle the most with is that tolerance on both sides tends to be so one-sided.

      And I am so with you on fall. I love fall weather. I wore a scarf and long sleeves this weekend and I was in heaven!

      Delete

Post a Comment